Most of our clients dream of one day becoming a U.S. citizen. Citizens enjoy every right under the U.S. Constitution as if they were born in the United States. This includes the right to vote, the right to petition for loved ones and relatives to move to the United States, and the right to obtain a U.S. passport and travel restriction free to many countries around the world. We have a long track record of proud clients who have successfully become citizens.

In order to become a U.S. citizen, an individual usually must complete the process of naturalization. The requirements for naturalization are as follows:

  • » The applicant must be a lawful permanent resident.
  • » The applicant must be 18 years or older.
  • » The applicant must have been a lawful permanent resident for 5 years
    •  Exception: If an individual obtained permanent residence through marriage to a U.S. citizen, he or she may be eligible for naturalization after only 3 years if:
    • » a. The couple has been married for 3 years;
    • » b. The U.S. citizen spouse was a U.S. citizen during the full 3 year period;
    • » c. The couple remains living in marital unity.
  • » The applicant must have resided for at least 3 months in the state where the citizenship application was filed.
  • » The applicant must have been physically present in the United States for at least one half of the 5 years.
  • » The applicant must be a person of good moral character throughout the 5 years.
  • » The applicant must possess basic skills of reading and writing in English.
  • » The applicant must pass a test of basic knowledge of the U.S. government and history.

Please note that there may be exception to the language and knowledge of U.S. history requirement. Also if you have some criminal history, you may still be eligible for Naturalization. We will be more than happy to review your specific situation and advise you if one of the exception applies to you.

Whether you are a citizen of another country with dreams of living in the United States, or a U.S. permanent resident who wants to complete the process and become a U.S. citizen, come visit us today to explore your opportunities.

Contact Us

Call the Law Office of Pardeep S. Grewal at (510) 889-1999 and schedule an appointment to learn more about your immigration options.