U Nonimmigrant Status

U Nonimmigrant Status

If you are a non-citizen living in the United States and you were the victim of a crime, you may be eligible for immigration benefits. Such victims can file their own petition and request a U visa to live legally in the United States. U visas are usually granted for four years and U visa holders are eligible to apply for permanent resident status.

In order to establish eligibility for a U visa, you must show:

  • That you are the victim of a crime;
  • That you have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime;
  • That you have been, are being, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

Some notes about U visas:

  • You are not required to be in any legal immigration status to apply for a U visa.
  • If you are granted a U visa you will be given employment authorization (work permit).
  • If you are over 21 years old, you can include your spouse and/or children in your U visa application, and if your application is approved, your spouse and/or children will also receive U visas.
  • If you are under 21 years old, you can include your spouse, children, parents, and unmarried siblings under the age of 18 in your U visa application.

Victims of domestic violence may be eligible for U visas. If you have been abused by your spouse or someone you are living with, please see our Victims of Domestic Violence section because you may be eligible for other immigration benefits.

Contact Us

Call the Law Office of Pardeep S. Grewal at (510) 889-1999 and schedule an appointment to learn more about your immigration options.