Family Based Immigration

A U.S. citizen may request that his or her foreign citizen spouse/fiancé, child, parent, brother, or sister be allowed to enter the United States for permanent residence. A permanent resident may request that his or her foreign citizen spouse or child be allowed to enter the United States for permanent residence.

There are two primary methods for obtaining legal U.S. residence through a family member :

1. The Visa Application. If applying from outside the United States, you will need a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to petition for you to enter the United States. If the petition is approved, you will need to apply for a visa at a U.S. Embassy in your home country. Once that application is approved, you can be admitted to the United States as a permanent resident.

2. Adjustment of Status. If you are already in the United States, you may be eligible for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident. Generally, you must be present in the United States after inspection and admission or parole by immigration officials. You will need your U.S. citizen or permanent resident relative to file a petition for you. If your relative is a U.S. citizen, the petition and adjustment of status application can be filed together at the same time. You may be required to appear for an interview with your relative. Once the applications are approved, you will be a permanent resident.

The Law Office of Pardeep S. Grewal has helped hundreds of clients obtain lawful permanent residence through successful visa and adjustment of status applications. Many of these clients have later become U.S. citizens.

Our attorneys have extensive experience with every step of the immigration process and can make it easy for you, so you can be together with your loved ones in the United States as early as possible. You will have professional guidance every step of the way. A Note About Conditional Permanent Residence

If you are married for less than 2 years before obtaining a green card, you will be granted “conditional” permanent resident status. In order to become a permanent resident without conditions, you must apply to have the conditional status removed.

Applicants are often required to attend an interview prior to being granted full permanent resident status. We can help you prepare the application, and we can attend the interview with you.